Wednesday, December 11, 2019

stereochemistry - Are our hands really chiral?


Everyone says that our left and right hand are mirror images of each other and are non-superimposable, unlike a sphere whose mirror image is exactly superimposable. But shouldn't our left and right hand be considered achiral? If I move my hands in front of me such that palm of both the hands face towards me and move my say left hand horizontally such that it can be superimposed on the right hand clearly they can't be because the thumbs point in opposite directions.


But if I rotate my left hand by 180 degrees so that now the palm of my left hand faces away from me then both the left and right hand are superimposable. So shouldn't they be achiral? I know there are two more similar questions akin to this but none of the answers answer my simple question.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...