Monday, December 30, 2019

pronouns - use of 〜ちゃん as a generic term



In a Shimajiro educational book I saw a line similar to this:



___ちゃんが知ってる乗り物は何ですか?



(the actual one had less Kanji but you get the point)


The question is why was ちゃん used here as a generic term. I thought ちゃん was used more for girls and くん for boys, and since I think the audience for Shimajiro might be more boys, why didn't they choose くん here? Or is ちゃん actually a more neutral term?



Answer



It's common to use ちゃん regardless of their sex when they're are very small... roughly under 6 years old or so.


http://oshiete.goo.ne.jp/qa/983087.html




平均的なところでは,
未就学児は男女問わず「ちゃん」
○小学生~高校生は男子が「君」,女子が「さん」
○大学生以上の学生,社会人(18歳未満でも)は「さん」
○ただし政治面など硬めのニュースでは男女問わず「氏」



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...