Sunday, December 29, 2019

sp2 hybridization Group V elements


I'm confused about $\mathrm{sp^2}$ hybridization in the formation of $\ce{NO3-}$ ion. Valence electrons of N are $\mathrm{(2s)^2}$ and $\mathrm{(2p)^3}$.



Is one of $\mathrm{2s}$ electrons kicked up to one of the $\mathrm{2p}$ orbitals, and then the remaining $\mathrm{2s}$ electron hybridized with the two remaining $\mathrm{2p}$ orbitals which have unpaired electrons? If so, that gives $\mathrm{sp^2}$ orbitals to bond with $\mathrm{p}$ orbitals of the oxygen atoms. However, there is now that remaining unhybridized $\mathrm{p}$ orbital of nitrogen, which has 2 electrons, so how can it be involved in $\pi$ bonding?


I would appreciate someone explaining this. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but my book doesn't have an explanation of $\mathrm{sp^2}$ hybridization for Group V elements.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...