Monday, December 30, 2019

minhag - Which Knot to Use on Tefillin Shel Rosh


When I was a child, I saw that all people had the same knot on their Tefillin Shel Rosh - a Double Daled (Ashkenazi community).



Recently I saw a comment that even those who grew up with a Double Daled, and even if their Father's minhag was a Double Daled, that they should all switch to a Single Daled.


My questions are:



  1. What are the sources for this, if any?

  2. Why is the Single Daled supposed to be "better"? Is this only for Kabbalistic reasons, or is there a real Halachic reason for this?

  3. Are these poskim who require this change in minhag correct to do so?

  4. Are there any Ashkenazi Poskim and/or Groups today that specifically say that a Double Daled is preferable?



Answer



As @NoachmiFrankfurt mentioned above, and suggested I convert into an answer:



Here's a partial answer: The MMA madrich gives requires a double-dalet knot http://www.moreshesashkenaz.org/en/guide.


Furthermore, there are Sephardim, such as the London community, who also maintain this practice: https://sites.google.com/site/londonsephardiminhag/tephillin


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...