Wednesday, December 11, 2019

gentiles - What's the role of the state in halacha's recognition of marriage for Bnai Noach (non-Jews)?


If I understand correctly (I think this was in R' Aaron Lichtenstein's book on the Seven Noahide Laws), halacha recognizes a marriage between a non-Jewish man and woman if they've gone through whatever society recognizes as marriage. (Correct me please if I'm getting that wrong.)


So certainly if they were married by a justice of the peace or the like, and the state recognizes their marriage; but what about common-law marriage? Or what if their officiant wasn't actually ordained? Or didn't register as an officiant, as is required in some states?


(I'm not trying to raise any political controversies with this question; I'm just curious.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...