Tuesday, October 8, 2019

words - Using 全然 with a positive pejorative



So far, I know that in proper speech, 全然 should be used with negative verbs such as 全然出来ません or in expressions such as 全然だめ or 全然違う. I am curious about the second type of usage. In that case, 全然 is used with a positive verb that has a negative meaning or pejorative meaning. Is this a generally acceptable usage of the word, for example in these expressions that I just made up:



  • 全然悪い(extremely bad), 全然無駄(totally useless), or 全然絶望(total despair).


I have never heard 全然 being used like this other than with だめ/違う so I was curious whether these are acceptable or not.



Would they fall under slang usage? for example as discussed in: 全然 {ぜんぜん} with positive adjective / na-adjective




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...