Tuesday, October 29, 2019

grammar - When is たら or 時 being preferred more than the other?


たら and 時 can be used to say "when" expressions. I have learned these grammatical expressions already. In the book みんなの日本語, there is a question that goes...



昼ご飯を a.食べた時 b.食べたら、すぐ出かけます。



When seeing this, instantly I would pick 'b'. However I can't explain to myself why it had to be 'b' when 'a' doesn't sound grammatically wrong. Is it perhaps the すぐ that made it that way?



Answer



Because 時 means "the time when" but not "then". The word "when" seems to mean the both.


昼ご飯を食べたら、すぐ出かけます would be translated as "After eating breakfast, (then) I will go out soon."



Does 昼ご飯を食べた時、すぐ出かけます(The time when I ate breakfast, I will go out soon.) make sense?


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...