Wednesday, October 30, 2019

nuances - What is the most natural way to refer to someone when you don't know their name and don't have a close relationship with them?


I wanted to mention to a female staff member in a shop that I visit every day that I had seen their photograph in the Shibuya shop. I was going to say:


渋谷店であなたの写真を見た。


..but あなた seemed too intimate. If I knew their name, I could have said, for example:


渋谷店で田中さんの写真を見た。


..also きみ seemed too casual.


渋谷店で君の写真を見た。


What is the most natural way to refer to someone when you don't know their name and don't have a close relationship with them?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...