Friday, October 25, 2019

acid base - Shouldn't the pH at the equivalence point always be 7?


I learned in class that the equivalence point in an acid-base titration is reached when the solution contains an equal amount of substance of $\ce{OH-}$ and $\ce{H+}$ ions. However, in a weak acid and strong alkali titration, the pH at the equivalence point (when I added the right amount of acid and alkali to make it a neutral solution) is 9. Also, in the titration of a strong acid and weak alkali, the pH of the solution when I have added the correct amounts is 5.


My question:


If I add 1 mole of ethanoic acid to 1 mole of sodium hydroxide, I should get a neutral solution and the pH should be 7. However, why is the pH 9? This does not make sense to me as a pH 9 suggest that the concentration of $\ce{OH-}$ is higher than the concentration of $\ce{H+}$. But how is that, I reacted the correct amounts?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...