Tuesday, August 6, 2019

halacha - What aspects of Yom Kippur may a non-Jew not participate in?


I'll be observing my first yom kippur this year (I'm still in the process of converting) and attending services at shul - is there any thing I shouldn't do as a non-Jew?



Answer




I can't think of anything that's done at a yom kippur service that would be an issue.


On "yes-cook" holidays, there's the issue that cooking can only be done for Jews; so if you were invited to a Jew's house for Rosh Hashana lunch, you should (for instance) put the tea bag in your own cup of fresh boiling water, rather than have your Jewish host do it. But Yom Kippur is a "no-cook" day (just like a regular Shabbat), so I really can't think of anything.


Show up dressed appropriately, with non-leather shoes; be respectful of the people around you, and try to follow what the crowd is doing; if you need to step out and eat, do so discreetly. I really can't think of anything else to worry about.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...