Tuesday, August 20, 2019

pronouns - Speaking in the third person


Many things that seem normal in English look arrogant in Japanese. I think I found a special case where the reverse is true. In Japanese is it normal to speak in the third person when referring to oneself? I have seen this done before on Twitter.



What about in face to face conversation or other conversational situations? Is it normal to refer to oneself in the third person?


Whenever I try to speak in the third person about myself in English I always get accused of looking pompous. This is not the case in Japanese?


What's the difference when using the third person to refer to oneself instead of words like 私、僕、or 俺?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...