Tuesday, August 27, 2019

word choice - How do you ask for "the bill" at a restaurant?


This is probably a bit of a silly question, but what do you say in Japanese when you're asking for the bill in a restaurant? Or is it unusual to say anything at all?


When I was in Japan I could never really catch any particular phrases and when I was at Kaitenzushi places I just stood up until the staff noticed I was ready to leave and then they counted my plates.


Would it be something to the effect of 付けをください? Or is it like in America where you usually don't really ask for the bill but just wait for it to come?



Answer



Beside 勘定 (or 勘定書) mentioned by Louis, お会計【かいけい】 is also a very common way to refer to the bill:



お会計をください



お会計お願いします



I believe 会計 has a more general nuance than 勘定 ("bill", rather than "check"), meaning it can be used in some instances where 勘定 would not fit. For restaurants, they are essentially interchangeable.


The gesture described by Louis (making a × sign with your index fingers) is indeed a universal Japanese gesture to indicate you are done: while it is not particularly rude, you should probably still avoid it in a very fancy place (and doing it appropriately might require a bit of practice, so I'd recommend holding off on it until you've seen it done a few times).


Note that all of the above will not always get you the check (at your table), since the vast majority of restaurants expect you to pay at a counter by the door and many will ring your total there. It can however indicate that you will be paying and signal the waiter to prepare your check.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...