Thursday, August 29, 2019

grammar - function of the particle も in 「~も辞さない」


I came across the sentence「訴訟も辞さない」in a book today and even though I am able to understand its meaning, I can't figure out the actual function of も in this case.


I looked into my grammar dictionary and the most satisfying definition I got was "も: a marker which indicates emphasis", but I'm not convinced it's the right one.


Should I just think it as a whole with 「辞さない」? I know it's a phrase used to express one's willingness to do something, but is it used with any other particle ?


Thank you for you answers in advance.


Also, I can provide context if needed.



Answer



I think the も here is this:




1⃣ 係助詞 3-㋑動詞の連用形や動作性名詞に付き、打消しの語と呼応して、強い否定の意を表す。「思いもよらぬ話」「返事もしない」(デジタル大辞泉)



So the も indicates emphasis, used with a negative phrase.


I think this も is usually translated as "even":



  • 訴訟を辞さない wouldn't hesitate to file a lawsuit; willing to bring a lawsuit

  • 訴訟辞さない wouldn't even hesitate to file a lawsuit; willing to bring even a lawsuit


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...