Wednesday, August 28, 2019

grammar constructions - Could you please explain the use of passive voice in the following sentences?


I would like you to help me to understand this grammar pattern (Nに)Vれる presented in Nihongo Sou Matome JLPT N3 (Pg.14). I'm not able to understand why the passive voice is used in the example sentences.




  1. 友達の赤ちゃんを抱っこしたら、泣かれてしまった。




Why is 泣く in passive form? If 友達の赤ちゃん was the one who cried, then shouldn't it be 泣いてしまった?




  1. 雨に降られて、服が濡れてしまいました。



My literal translation of this would be: "Something was fallen by the rain and the clothes got soaked." It doesn't make sense...


Again, why is the passive form used?





  1. 父に死なれて、大学を続けられなくなりました。



My literal translation of this would be: "(I or somebody) was died/killed by my father, and could not continue university."


If it's my father who died and it's me who could not continue university, wouldn't it be better to say 父が死んだから、大学を続けられなくなりました。 or something like this.


I really don't understand the use of the passive form in these 3 cases.


Could you please explain this to me and give some more examples to grasp the use of this kind of strange passive?


Thank you so much in advance for your help!




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...