Thursday, August 22, 2019

signal analysis - Acoustic Scenarios With Negative SNR


For all the practicing engineers out there:



  • Where have you encountered a negative SNR?


  • How negative, in dB, was it or estimated to be?

  • Where would you expect to encounter a negative SNR?


Note: I am also counting interference signals as noise, so SNR can also include SIR.


In my own experience, I have seen negative SNRs in car communications. There is road noise, as well as multi-talker and music interference. I have also seen it in the output from cellular phones. Wind noise can sometimes pose a significant problem there, as well as the myriad of interferences in speakerphone mode.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...