Thursday, April 5, 2018

parsing - Long phrase translation: あの子とも違う秘密を持ったみたいで後 ろめたい気分だ



Context: 15-year boy speaking to himself
あの子とも 違う秘密を持ったみたいで後ろめたい気分だ




I brought this long phrase here because I have several points of doubt in it.


First: あの子とも doesn't seem to be the same as here or here. I suspect it is just an emphasis (like: "That kid!!"), but I would like someones confirmation, just to be sure.


Second: 違う秘密 Another secret, right?


Third: 持ったみたい Now, this one I really have no idea :) Is it even parsed like that? Like "Motta Mitai" being something on its own...


Last: 後ろめたい気分だ Ok, he's feeling guilty.


So, can someone provide explanation for these parts (specially the first and third)? A full translation would also be desirable, to see how these things connect.



Answer



You know what "後ろめたい" is, so let's concentrate on the first half.


「~みたいだ」 is "It seems ~" or "Looks like ~". 「持ったみたいだ」 can be translated as "It seems that I had ~".




彼女とも違う秘密を持ったみたいだ。



This sentence is ambiguous by itself. Without any context given, I thought of two possible interpretations:



彼女との間にも違う秘密を持ったみたいだ。
It seems that I made a different secret also with her.



The boy shared a secret with someone else before this. Now he (unintentionally) created another secret with this girl, too. (Yes it's something about triangle relationship.)




  • あの子と = with that person (girl)

  • も = also



彼女とも違う秘密を持ったみたいだ。
彼女の秘密とも違う秘密を持ったみたいだ。
It seems that I made a secret that is even different from her secret.




  • Aと違うB = B which is different from A


  • も = also, even


The boy knew something about the girl's secret, and was worrying about that. But now he feels sorry because he has another secret of his own.




And now that we have adequate amount of context given, I think the first interpretation is more likely here, although I don't know what "the first secret with someone else" actually is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...