Saturday, April 7, 2018

home experiment - Is there a means to measure pH without indicators?


I have created a solution that should contain hydroxide ions. Therefore, the pH > 7, but is there any way to roughly estimate the pH in absence of any indicator? Maybe using current, or checking whether it dissolves certain chemicals?


Please mind that I am limited in equipment and so complex science is not feasible for me.



Answer




Have you tried with red or black tea? It turns lighter in acidic media and turns dark in basic media. I tried once adding the pulp juice of one lemon to a cup of tea and it lighted up (mainly for acetic acid), then I added NaOH-based salt and turned very black and opaque.


Maybe that suits for your solution.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...