Thursday, October 3, 2019

word choice - Are 「ないで」(when used adverbially) and 「ずに」 absolutely interchangeable?


I have been browsing the related questions in this site that deal with ず, ない, ずに and ないで and they are very informative. However, I couldn't find a post dealing with ずに and ないで (adverbially) specifically. That's why I used the categorical word "absolutely" in my question, I want to focus on those.


After researching, it is clear to me that both expressions mean the same, but I still wonder whether there is a difference in nuance, formality or whatever aspect that makes them different in the slightest. Are they always interchangeable no matter the sentence they are used in? To put it the other way around, is there any situation in which 「ないで」(adverbially) can't be replaced by 「ずに」 or vice versa?


For instance,




朝ごはんを食べないで、会社にでかけた。
朝ごはんを食べずに、会社にでかけた。



よろしくお願いします!



Answer



Here's an example case: Vないで(ください) can also be used as a negative request/volitionally, where Vずに won't be able to be used as a drop-in replacement. This is similar to the positive form Vてください。


Edit: I believe there is a difference in nuance between the two adverbial forms, with ず sounding more a bit more classical/mature (although it is used in many different contexts) and being related to せざる and older Japanese forms. I couldn't find a dictionary source, but it's in this chiebukuro question: https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1157256921


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...