Sunday, October 13, 2019

とは、では、には Understanding of double particles


I have some troubles understanding those particles 【では】、【には】、【とは】 etc.


I completely understand and can use 【での】、【のに】 etc., but when 【は】 follows one other, I can't figure out how to use it and how to fully understand it.



Just now, I heard in the anime called "Fate/stay night UBW":



 俺の知ってるとは違う!



The context is : A fight between 2 people that have already fought in the past, so they've already encountered each other's techniques and spells and know most of them. There is a spell that "B" knows about and "A" uses an updated version of it against "B", so he's like what the hell? And he says:



 俺の知ってるとは違う!



At that moment, I didn't have any problem understanding the sentence, and I felt like saying 【とは】 was like a shortcut, that it was like saying:




俺の知ってる魔法と違う! 



So if I'm right, it's exactly the same for 【では】 and 【には】 right?


I have a Japanese friend who I often talk to, and I often use these double particles but without really thinking, and here is an example conversation:



彼女 : このバンドは日本に人気だよ!
彼女 : フランスには人気なの?
俺 : フランスには超人気!



Seems to be a boring talk but whatever lol, she says that this band is popular in Japan, then to avoid repeating herself, and add some contrast, she says:




As for in France, are they popular 



Is what I'm saying correct?


And also, I have another question, if for example I want to tell the state of something, like "In France it's normal", what could I say? I would not be able to choose between:



フランスでは普通だ
フランスには普通だ



I don't see the difference, can someone help me out please, thank you!





No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...