Friday, October 11, 2019

sentence final particles - Difference between ぞ and ぜ


Since I watch a lot of anime, I end up hearing these two particles a lot, but I've never been completely certain of their distinction, only that there definitely is one. My dictionary listed them as a single entry with the definition of adding emphasis, which seems to fit well with ぞ, but not quite as well with ぜ from my observation. It also doesn't help that as far as I'm aware, almost nobody says these in real life, or at least much less frequently.



Answer



Your observation is accurate. There is difference between ぞ and ぜ, though ぜ has almost died out, at least in greater Tokyo. Basically, ぞ just straightforwardly tells one-sided subjective claims, while ぜ has function of confirmation, request, or advice, only in a rude and free manner. ぜ couldn't be used if there's no hearer, that is, you wouldn't speak to yourself with ぜ.


The last remaining usage of ぜ occasionally heard around me is, as indicator of speaker's annoyance or irkedness.



これ以上待ってもしょうがないし、もうさっさと行こうぜ。
There's no point waiting anymore. Come on, let's go already!



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...