Friday, October 18, 2019

minhag - Is There a Jewish "Confirmation"?


While browsing some local Temples (Reform Congregations) here in my city, I noticed a site that listed "Confirmation" under the heading of "Life Cycle" on their site. I was puzzled. I know what Bar Mitzvah is, and I know some places do Bat Mitzvah, but Confirmation? Having a long history in Catholicism, I am used to the idea of the "Sacrament of Confirmation".


Is this "Jewish Confirmation" an actual rite belonging to the Jewish tradition or is it something modern just intending to offer something extra for teens?



Answer



Confirmation is not an actual rite belonging to the Jewish tradition, as you suspected. It is not observed in traditional Orthodox synagogues.


It is a Christian rite that was adopted by early Jewish Reformers



See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation.




This article about Reform Judaism writes:



The first Reformers [] were seeking a middle course between halakhic Judaism, which they wanted to break away from, and conversion to Christianity, which they wanted to avoid.



I believe that adopting confirmation into the rites was similar to their adoption of other Christian behaviors such as prayer in the vernacular, introducing an organ into the service and moving the bimah to the front of the synagogue analogous to the Christian altar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...