Tuesday, October 1, 2019

metal - Why does mercury not form amalgam with iron?


I am learning about solutions and while giving an example of a liquid (solute) and a solid (solvent), my teacher told us that mercury forms an amalgam with all the metals except iron.


I want to know why this is so?



Answer




Iron does not form an amalgam readily, hence the use of iron electrodes in mercury switches. Apparently, iron does form alloys with mercury under specific conditions; see http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2011-04/1304143502.Ch.r.html.


By contrast, mercury spilled on gold (e.g. gold-alloy jewelry) soaks in immediately, discoloring the gold, and migrates further into the bulk metal in a few hours, thus restoring the color.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...