Friday, October 4, 2019

meaning - Two から in the same sentence


I'm playing a game that talks about the story of Princess Kaguya in the following way. I think I got the general gist of it, but I found the second sentence in particular to be perplexing. I think the first から is use to say she came from the moon, but I'm not sure what meaning of the second から is.



確かにかぐや姫は月を見ては泣いていました。。。



Princess Kaguya did indeed cry when looking upon the moon.



でも、それはかぐやが月から来たからじゃないの。。。




But, she wasn't crying because she came(??) from the moon



月はツクヨミの象徴で、実はかぐやは前世を懐かしんで泣いてたの。。。



Because the moon is the symbol of Tsukuyomi, Kaguya was in truth yearning for her previous life.



つまり彼女を迎えに来た月の住の正体はツクヨミ。。。



In other words, the moon resident who came to take her back was Tsukuyomi.




Answer




でも、それはかぐやが月から来たからじゃないの。。。


However, it was not because she had come from the moon.



The first "から" is simply "from" and the second is "since" or "because".


The tricky part here is じゃない after the 2nd から which you may not have seen. Here is means "It wasn't because of ..."


This sentence is talking about the one previous to it. And the real reason for the first sentence (her crying) is described in the 3rd and 4th sentences.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...