Saturday, August 17, 2019

purim torah in jest - Who is Herbert?



Throughout my learning, I keep encountering this fellow Herbert, although he's always referred to by his nickname Herb. I've seen him referred to in many different contexts. Sometimes he's a story teller, הרב המגיד, Herb the Maggid. Occasionally he's head of the court, הרב אב בית דין. I even read that he was the first to arrive in Israel - הרב הראשי לישראל, Herb the first to Israel.


Where can I find out more about this Herb fellow?







Answer



There is a series of books written about him by Rabbi Hershel Schachter, beginning with נפש הרב ("The Soul of Herb"), followed by מפניני הרב ("Pearls of Herb"), and finally, דברי הרב ("Herb's Words"). These books contain many teachings, stories, and otherwise illuminating material about Herb.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...