Sunday, August 11, 2019

inorganic chemistry - Why is a face-centred cubic unit cell not regarded as equivalent to a body-centred tetragonal unit cell?



When studying crystal lattices, I decided to learn which combinations of unit cells and lattice systems lead to the 14 Bravais lattices. I learnt that, for example, no centred triclinic unit cell exists.


Later while searching the Internet and Stack Exchange, I found an answer saying that an end-centred cubic cell can be transformed into a (smaller) tetragonal unit cell as shown in th picture below.


Cubic C and F vs tetragonal P and I


Then I thought on and realised that a face centred cubic lattice can be transformed into a (smaller) body-centred tetragonal unit cell, and into an even smaller one, too.


So, why are some centred unit cells (for hexagonal, triclinic and rhombohedral lattices) considered non-existent, while others (e.g. face-centred cubic) are considered to exist even though they, too, can be reduced?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...