Sunday, January 7, 2018

kashrut kosher - According to Ibn Ezra should we not follow all the commandments?


In a question I asked (“Health benefits for eating kosher”), I wrote that ibn Ezra said that all the mitzvot have to have a rational explanation for them and if a single commandment went against reason (intelligence) then we should not observe it.


DanF then made a thought-provoking comment.



I rarely challenge someone on this site, but I will challenge you, here, to provide proof that Ibn Ezra said exactly this. Impossible. It has been said that even King Solomon could not understand the reasoning behind the red heffer (parah adumah), yet there are many mitzvot attached to it. The whole nature of a chok is based on a lack of "logical understanding.



So is it true that according to Ibn Ezra we should not follow all the commandments?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...