Sunday, January 28, 2018

meaning - Why is ば in this sentence?



そんなトコで何ばしよる。




I'm reading a manga and from the context of the pictures I think this sentence reads, "What are you doing up there," but I have no idea what part ば plays. The character speaks in a dialect so my confusion could be a result of that, but any help would be much appreciated.enter image description here



Answer



is the accusative particle used in wide area of (northern, as I remember) Kyushu as much as を in Standard Japanese. Etymologically it's from を + は contracted but no longer has share the は sense in Standard Japanese, as we can see that it's able to mark the question word (thanks to @user4092).



そんなトコで何ばしよる。



means



そんなとこで何をしてる(んだ)。




or a bit more textbook-friendly,



そんなところで何をしている(のだ)。



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...