Wednesday, January 31, 2018

downsampling - Downsample: resample vs antialias fitlering + decimation


I have a discrete signal sampled @Fs. I need to downsample it to Fs/k. Main reason is to reduce signal bandwidth and speed up computation : I'm only interested in a reduced bandwidth < Fs/2k. Some high frequency noise >> Fs/2k can exist : antialiasing is needed. From what I understand, I have several options :



  1. brute force : decimation (without taking care of aliasing problem!)

  2. antialiasing + decimation : I can use for example numpy decimate function


  3. frequency approach : FFT then truncation then IFFT, can be done using resample


Only solution 2- 3- help solving antialiasing issue. 3- filters in frequency domain, supposing signal is periodic. 2- filters with IIR/FIR filter.


I can always use decimate without questioning, but I would like to precisely understand limitations behind. What are drawbacks / advantages of using solution 2- versus 3-? Do you have some practical guidelines about downsampling? Some recommendations?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...