Sunday, January 28, 2018

usage - What does ただいま actually mean?


I was wondering what the literal translation really means. I've seen it translated as I'm home but I've also seen it in a few situations where the person wasn't arriving home.



Answer



The [ただいま]{LHHH} that you say when you arrive home is a contraction of ただ今帰りました.
(ただ = たった/just, 今 = now, 帰りました = (I) came back / came home / returned)


I think one other situation you're talking about might be where you say 「ただいま」, 'Certainly, sir' / 'Yes sir, I'll do that right away' / 'Yes, I'll be right with you', etc., when someone tells you to do something or calls you, and probably rushes you. I think this [ただいま]{LHLL} (with a stress on だ and a falling tone on いま) literally means 'right now' 'right away', like 「(はい、)たった今(行きます/参ります。」 or 「(はい、)今すぐに(します/やります)。」


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...