Monday, January 29, 2018

grammar - What kind of verbs can the suffix たて (立て) attach to?


Why can -たて attach to some verbs and not others? What is a more precise definition of how to use it?



I had been aware of the suffix -たて as meaning 'an action just/newly completed/occurred' for a while but I covered it in my textbook more formally today. It attaches in the form of 連用形+たて. For example,
焼きたて = freshly baked
とりたて = freshly picked
ペンキ塗りたて = newly painted


However, my book also stated that you can't say the following.
読みたて
寝たて
食べたて


If the definition above was correct, I should be able to use it for those words. That definition is also supported by the dictionaries I've looked it up in:
Yahoo! Jisho "動詞の連用形に付いて、その動作が終わったばかりであることを表す"

Jisho.org "indicates activity only just occurred; just (done)"




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...