Thursday, January 18, 2018

grammar - ひき or 頭 for horses?


Initially I'd thought ひき is for small animals and 頭 is for animals that are not small ("big" animals) however EDICT (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1MUE%E3%81%B2%E3%81%8D) seems to claim that horses belong to the ひき group and not the 頭 group (yet of course I think we can agree that a horse is not "small" at all!).



1) Basically I was wondering is it true that "horses" is the exception where we ignore the "small" / "big" rule and they are always counted with ひき (regardless of the size of the horse) instead of 頭 ?


2) Are there any cases when ひき is used to refer to a non-small animal?



Answer



I don't personally know the answer, but exploring my way through EDICT:


a) In the definition, sense 3 - counter for horses - is listed only as "き only" (so not ひき); it is also marked as an archaic term.


b) Skimming the examples page for 馬, I could only find one example using a counter:



そのレースで争った馬は4頭だけだった。


Only four horses competed in the race.




Edit:


Actually, I found another one as well:



彼は牛を2頭の馬と交換した。


He exchanged his cow for two horses.



So both of the examples use 頭 for the counter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...