Monday, August 12, 2019

everyday chemistry - Handling and storing sodium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid, hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl alcohol


I'm an electrical engineering and I hope you can give me some advice as I'm not much into chemistry. I'm trying to start making my PCB (Printed Circuit Board) at home but I'd like to have some advice concerning how to handle and where to store these (potentially dangerous) chemicals.


I need NaOH as a developer, hydrochloric acid + hydrogen peroxide as etchant (they should be a better alternative than Ferric Chloride) and isopropyl alcohol (to make soldering flux).


As far as I understood I need:



  • Glasses (to protect against vapors and splashes)

  • Gloves (to protect when mixing the chemicals)

  • Some kind of protective clothes (not sure if I need to, but obviously I'm not wearing nice clothes when doing etching)



I have a few questions though:



  • Do I need kind of mask / filter (to put on my nose) - are these vapors dangerous ?

  • I read gloves should be stored in quite cold locations and not be exposed to sunlight. Does that apply to the chemicals listed above too ? I'd like to store them outside but maybe it's not safe ...

  • Hydrochloric acid comes in 36% concentration but I think I'll need to dilute it to 1%-5% max. After it has been diluted it should be quite safe, isn't it ?

  • Is it safe to store them inside a house (as long as it's well ventilated) ?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...