Thursday, August 15, 2019

definitions - What does it mean to be "over a law"?


I was a little confused after reading this on Wikipedia article for 宇部港, a harbor in Ube, Yamaguchi:



港湾法{こうわんほう}上の重要港湾...に指定されている。



I'm really not used to reading very technical writing, so there is a (pretty good) chance that I'm way off the mark, but I figured it means something like:



"It is designated as an Important Port under the Harbor Act" (or however the legalese works out).



What got me stuck was the use of the kanji (which I, for lack of a clear reference, am reading as じょう). Is it saying that the 港湾法 is above the Ube Harbor, or vice-versa? It may be how English has wired my brain, but I think of things "under a law"? Is this simply the way it's said in Japanese? Does it have another meaning?




Answer



Without knowing the entire sentence, this looks like a 〜上 meaning "from the viewpoint/standpoint of 〜". I talked about the meaning of this in this thread, so I'll defer you there for a more complete explanation.


Basically sounds like "From the viewpoint/In terms of the Harbour Act 〜". Actually, in this case, I think "Under the Habour Act" (as you mentioned) would be correct English also.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...