Thursday, January 18, 2018

word choice - What is the difference between using を and と with the verb 言う?



I apologize if this is a basic question, but it's something I've never been entirely clear on. When using the verb 言う (to say), I can never figure out whether to use the particle -と or the particle -を for the thing being said. I know that -と is used for quotations, but what about when the thing being said is not a direct quotation? For example, is it acceptable to say:



彼女は何と言いましたか。
What did she say?



or



先生が宿題の締切りと言いましたか。
Did the teacher say what the deadline on the homework is?




In these two situations, I'm not sure whether to use を or と. Can anyone tell me what the difference between is?



Answer



I feel like this has been asked before, but I can't find it if it has. You've got it spot on with being the quotation marker; that is Xと言う means that X was literally (more or less) what was said. Using is more about the meaning/gist/essence of what is said. Here's a pair that I always remember to help distinguish them.




  • なにを言ってるのか? → "What are you saying?" meaning "I don't understand what you're talking about"

  • なんと言ってるのか? → "What are you saying?" meaning "I don't/can't understand the words you're speaking" (maybe they are mumbling; phone conversation static-y and breaking up; etc.)



Or this set





  • なにを言ったらいいか? → "What/How should I say (this)?" meaning "What's the best way for me to explain this?"

  • なんと言ったらいいか? → "What should I say?" meaning "What's the best wording for what I want to say?"



With your examples, the first one could be either - 彼女は何を/と言いました? - but again, the meaning would change slightly (the meaning or exact wording of what she said) as I mentioned above. With the second one, is more correct for the context.




  • 先生が宿題の締切を言いましたか。 → Did the teacher tell us the deadline for the homework? → The meaning of "the homework's deadline" would be an exact date/time.


  • 先生が宿題の締切といいましたか。 → Did the teacher say "the homework's deadline"? → Not likely that the teacher would have said that exact phrase.



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...