Friday, January 19, 2018

inorganic chemistry - Is magnesium sulfate basic, neutral or acidic?


A question in my college test was whether $\ce{MgSO4}$ is neutral, acidic or basic. I was told to solve this kind of problem by hydrolyzing any ions that do not "come from" a strong acid or a strong base, and if nothing is hydrolyzed, then the salt is neutral. So by this logic, as $\ce{Mg^2+}$ comes from $\ce{Mg(OH)2}$ and $\ce{SO4^2-}$ comes from $\ce{H2SO4}$, I answered "neutral".



My professor marked it as wrong, and said that the salt $\ce{MgSO4}$ is basic. How can you explain this?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...