Saturday, January 6, 2018

expressions - Meaning of 言いだしっぺとして



I stumbled upon the following sentence:



言いだしっぺとして、10人がんばります!



Context: a person is told to invite 10 persons, and seems to answer "言いだしっぺとして, I will try my best to get 10 persons!"


What does the 言いだしっぺとして part mean?
What nuance does it bring to the sentence, compared to a simple "10人がんばります!"?



Answer



言い出しっぺ is a single word and if you check a dictionary you get: 'the one who brought it up'.
Since he is the one who originally proposed the idea of getting 10 people, it is his responsibility to carry out his proposal, is what he is saying.



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...