Monday, January 1, 2018

bond - Which elements can be diatomic?


Which elements can be diatomic and why?




Motivation



Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen and the Halogens tend to be thermodynamically stable as a diatomic molecule at room temperature, and are usually labelled as diatomic nonmetals. (Although I am unsure about Astatine). These are the ones you learn in school and I am fine with their reasoning. I want to know about other elements in particular.


Looking at the rest of the non-metals: Carbon, Phosphorus and Sulfur have diatomic molecules in gaseous states. All with a common theme of being heated at very high temperatures.


This leaves us with diatomic Selenium which I could not find anything on.




Further notes


Diatomicity doesn't seem to be just a non-metal thing:





No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...