Sunday, January 7, 2018

blessing - Can anyone explain the meaning of this amulet / inscription?


Right before my grandfather went away to fight in WWII, a rabbi in Munkács (מונקאטש) gave him a small cloth container that had a piece of parchment in it, as a kind of amulet. The piece of paper has Hebrew lettering on it that seems like it is some kind of acronym. My grandfather died 15 years ago and didn't leave us with any record of what it meant (if he even knew). My grandmother is 88 and doesn't know what it stands for. Does anyone know what this means? Here's a picture of it -- it is about 1/3 the size of a playing card.


amulet (link: http://imgur.com/1OhNi)



Some work on this mystery has already started over at reddit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...