Friday, January 17, 2020

shabbat - Unintentional Tosefes Shabbos


My shul newsletter misprinted candle lighting times this week --- instead of 8:01, it listed 7:48. This leads me to 2 questions:


If I light candles at 7:48 because I think that that is the right time for shabbos, is it still considered that I added to shabbos (tosefes shabbos)? This site indicates that there has to be some sort of awareness of the acceptance l'shem the mitzvah of tosefes shabbos (citing



Tosefes Shabbos 261:13; Tehillah l'David 263:8-10; Chelkas Yoav 30; Mishmeres Shalom 26:2; Mishnah Berurah 261:21 (as understood by Shoneh Halachos 261:3; Shemiras Shabbos K'hilchasah 46:2; Az Nidberu 1:1). See Ritva Rosh Hashanah 9a as a possible source.)



But I have kavannah to accept shabbos fully -- the article cited says that the kavannah for tosefes shabbos could be shown simply through candle lighting. Can I get the "credit" when I have no awareness that I am fulfilling the particular mitzvah but I am intentionally fulfilling a related one?


This last point calls forth whether I, as the guy making the shul bulletin can intentionally publish a wrong (too early) time so that everyone in shul gets a schar without trying or knowing about it. There is kavannah to perform the mitzvah of candles/shabbos but not (necessarily) tosefes shabbos.



Is the mitzvah progressive? Do I get more reward for starting even earlier? If I am already getting credit for lighting 18 minutes before sunset, is there any additional credit for lighting 30 minutes early? How early should I mislead people into lighting?


I know that this is too many questions, but they are interwoven and contingent so I'm not sure how to divide them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...