Thursday, January 30, 2020

organic chemistry - Monobromination vs. Dibromination


My professor noted that bromination with light and methylene chloride gives you exclusively the monobromination product.


However, bromination without light will give you the multi-brominated product.


I have no found any reference to bromination in my textbook nor online. Is the second statement an accurate statement?



Answer




Bromination of alkanes with Br2 will not occur in a dark environment. In the presence of light, multiple halogenations can occur given enough time.


For more information, including the full mechanism, check out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-radical_halogenation


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...