Wednesday, January 22, 2020

organic chemistry - Spin spin coupling in a proton NMR of an ester?


I am learning about proton NMR and spin-spin coupling, and am confused about whether splitting occurs over an ester bond. Specifically, in the case of ethyl methanoate, HCOOCH2CH3, if I were to number the proton environments going from left to right as 1,2 and 3, would 1 and 2 cause splitting of each other? If they would not cause splitting, then I would expect a singlet, a quartet and a triplet respectively. If they do cause splitting, then would you get a triplet, a quartet of doublets, and a triplet for 1,2 and 3 respectively? I know that with -OH and -NH the protons do not couple (although I am not sure why), so I was wondering whether the same principle may perhaps apply here...




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...