Monday, January 20, 2020

halacha - Is programming against Judaism?


I just recently learned about this site when I saw Judaism was one of the stack overflow topics. I have been Jewish all my life and two years ago I started programming.


I was wondering if there would be any problems with programming, because when you write computer code you are essentially mimicking Gods creation of the world. You code(say) something and it appears much like how God said "let there be light" and there was light.



Answer




No. There is no problem with programming in Judaism. As far as mimicking G-d's creation, we do that all the time: all craftsmen create things. In fact, we are commanded to mimic G-d in certain ways:


Leviticus 19:2 from Mechon Mamre.



-קְדֹשִׁים תִּהְיוּ: כִּי קָדוֹשׁ, אֲנִי יְהוָה אֱלֹהֵיכֶם.
-Ye shall be holy; for I the LORD your God am holy.



And thanks to DoubleAA for reminding me about: Deuteronomy 28:9 from Chabad.org



יְקִימְךָ יְ־הֹוָ־ה לוֹ לְעַם קָדוֹשׁ כַּאֲשֶׁר נִשְׁבַּע לָךְ כִּי תִשְׁמֹר אֶת מִצְוֹת יְ־הֹוָ־ה אֱלֹהֶיךָ וְהָלַכְתָּ בִּדְרָכָיו:


The Lord will establish you as His holy people as He swore to you, if you observe the commandments of the Lord, your God, and walk in His ways.




Now, remember that human beings cannot really mimic G-d's creation at all. G-d creates from nothing (ex nihilo) while we simply modify and work with things that already exist.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...