Friday, January 17, 2020

grammar - Meaning of "でも" in "食事でもどうですか?"


I've found this sentence on alc.co.jp



食事でもどうですか



and I am puzzled as to meaning this でも conveys. How does it differ from



食事どうですか




which would be my first choice; however, according to google, is used less often ?


Thank you for your time.



Answer



This でも is used to mean "〜 or something", usually in regards to suggestions. It leaves room for other options.




  • 食事でもどうですか → How about something to eat (or something else)?

  • お茶にでもいかない? → Would you like to go out for tea maybe?






参照



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...