Sunday, March 17, 2019

electrons - Which relatively simple molecules violate the octet rule?


I'm learning how to draw Lewis diagrams. Everything I've read emphasizes the octet rule. However, to the best of my knowledge, that rule only applies to elements in the first three periods.



On our exam, I expect our professor will ask us to draw some Lewis diagrams of molecules whose atoms do not comport with the octet rule. However, I haven't seen any diagrams of these; it'd be useful to get a sense of what they look like so that my gut doesn't disapprove of what will otherwise be strange looking diagrams.


What are some relatively common molecules that comprise atoms that comprise a great number of valence electrons?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...