Wednesday, March 27, 2019

meaning - What is the implication when a girl refers to herself using "うち"? Is it meant to be more or less feminine? Neutral? Tomboyish?



I realize it is a kind of Kansai-ben but how does it compare to the other forms of "I" in terms of how they want to represent themselves?



Answer



I think うち is a neutral and common feminine first-person pronoun, at least in part of Kansai region. There, people who use うち use it because everyone else uses it. As long as it is used with fluent Kansai-ben in an informal setting, I would feel nothing special about うち.


Wikipedia says うち is used also by male people in certain regions in Kyushu, but I have not heard that.


Another point is that うち is a casual pronoun, just like 俺. Although some Kansai comedians and geisha are always using it on TV, I usually don't hear うち from Kansai people in a serious situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...