Saturday, March 30, 2019

grammar - Sentences ending in て


While in Japan I came across the Kinokuniya mega bookshop, which I fell in love with. I went to one of the top floors, started browsing the Japanese learning books, and found a couple focused on listening and speaking, two of my weakest points, and completely in Japanese, which is another plus. In general they're not too difficult, as I got the ones most suited to my level, but now and then I come across certain things I haven't seen before. One of them is sentences ending in て


An example, from a listening exercise (dialogue between two international students and their host, before going back to their country.)




  • 山川:本当?うれしい、ありがとう。

  • リー:来るとき、連絡してね


Another example:



  • リー:ねえ、覚えてる?去年の4月、私が初めて日本へ来た時、山川さんに空港までむかえにきてもらったね。

  • 山川:もちろん覚えてるよ。リーさん、こんなに大きなかばんを2つも持って

  • リー:そうそう。一人で運べないから、山川さんに手伝ってもらって。本当に助かった。



I have also found examples of it on a Shin Chan volume I'm reading, for example:



  • おやつ食べたら体温計持ってきて


So, what's the purpose of finishing verbs in て at the end of the sentence?


EDIT: I understand the て (order) from the first conversation and the Shin Chan extract. Only the second one is left, which from context I understand is not an order.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...