Friday, March 22, 2019

stereo vision - How can I estimate the spatial resolution of consumer grade electronics?


I have been looking at stereo vision applications, and one working example involves using two USB web cams, mounted together and calibrated.


Is there a way to estimate the theoretical spatial resolution of such a set up? The goal is to avoid purchasing and testing blindly but rather to be relatively confident ahead of time.


I do understand that the EXACT resolution will probably require a test setup due to lensing, etc.


What information would be needed to make this determination? Would the minimum focal length and the maximum resolution be sufficient? Pixel density obviously plays some role in this, and is advertised on most digital cameras (which have a much higher maximum resolution), if I was attempting to compute an estimate, how should I incorporate this?


As an example consider the following setup:



  • a 4" minimum focal length (MS HD Webcam focal length)


  • a maximum resolution of 1920x1080

  • object is on the order of a couple of centimeters

  • details on the order of tenths of millimeters

  • the distance between cameras and objects should be smallish, I was considering something like 15 cm to 25 cm, flexible based on the answer here

  • the distance between cameras, the number of cameras can be flexible but should stay in the smallish range ... if I need $10,000 in cameras, it's a bad solution




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...