Thursday, March 28, 2019

grammar - Meaning of 誰もいはしない in this sentence




「どうせ誰もいはしないと高をくくっていたところもある。」



This one's throwing me for a bit of a loop. The translation says "He also didn't really take the possibility of anyone being there seriously."


It makes sense to me except for the いはしない part. What does this mean?


I looked up い and saw that it can mean stomach, so my first thought was that いはしない was perhaps some idiom like "not doing his stomach" that means "not being there" but I can't find any evidence to justify that on the internet so I have to assume it's wrong.



Answer




「Verb in 連用形{れんようけい}(continuative form) + は + しない」


= "would not (verb) one bit" ← rather emphatic




「い」 is the 連用形 of the verb 「いる」.



「誰{だれ}もいはしない」, therefore, means "no one would be (there)"



You will encounter this grammar pattern over and over.


Note that the 「は」 is occasionally replaced by a 「や」 in more informal speech.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...