Saturday, March 30, 2019

torah study - How does the content of the JPS English translation of Miqra'ot Gedolot differ from that of the Hebrew version?


Because I am not yet fluent in Hebrew I am excited to learn that JPS is publishing an English translation of Miqra'ot Gedolot. (So far they've done Sh'mot, Vayikra, and Bamidbar.) As noted in one of the Amazon reviews, a complete translation of MG would run to a much higher page count than what they've produced, so my question is how the content of this edition compares to that of the original. One person told me that this edition removes repetition -- when one commentary quotes another they collapsed that. Is that the only substantive change? Does the translation omit other material (and if so, what?)?



Answer



See here (pp. xvii-xviii) for a list of what the JPS Miqra'ot Gedolot omits from their translation of the commentators, what they retain, and what they change from the originals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...