Friday, March 2, 2018

word choice - What's the difference between 信じる, 信用する and 信頼す る?


What's the difference between 信じる, 信用する and 信頼する ? How can I know which one to use? According to my dictionary they all mean "to trust". Are they interchangeable?


For example,



I trust you.





Answer



Off the top of my head I would summarize the differences as follows.



  • 信じる is to believe a single fact or statement (or, by extension, believe that something exists or is true)

  • 信用する is to have faith in a source of information

  • 信頼する is to trust a person (or institution)


So, for example




田中さんを信じる。
I believe what Mr. Tanaka said.


田中さんを信用できる。
I can ["always"] believe what Mr. Tanaka says.


田中さんを信頼する。
I trust Mr. Tanaka [to always do the right thing].



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...